Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Urban Kingdom. Just like Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom but without the insurance or the Wild.

This morning I interfered with nature.

I know you’re not supposed to do that but I did. I couldn’t help it. I’m sure the whole world will now shift and the earth will spin off its axis but I couldn’t help it. This morning after walking around the park with the mutts instead of going for our usual half hour walk because I was feeling LAZY, we saw a Mama duck and her 11 ducklings. Eleven little balls of fluffy feathers swimming and eating the gross green scum on the top of the pond. NO, I didn’t interfere with them even though I really wanted one to leave its Mother, swim over to me and jump on the bank so I could pet it. No, I didn’t butt in there.

I also didn’t butt in when I saw a baby Robin on the ground hopping pathetically in the grass. The poor thing was way too young to be on its own and couldn’t fly away. What kind of a crap-ass mother does it have to kick it out when it was OBVIOUS it wasn’t ready?! No, I let that one go too. I did however yell at Lucy the Lab to stay away and not to interfere by licking it.

Then, as we were rounding the last bend Lucy ran over to a rock at the top of the stream bank and started nosing it. Then it moved. It was a turtle. A pretty big box turtle, maybe three inches wide and a good 6 inches long. It was stuck on the steepest part of the bank and as we were watching it, it flipped over and rolled back down. I watched it roll and felt so bad for it as it wriggled and struggled to get back onto its four legs. I couldn’t stand it any longer. So yes, I interfered. I went and picked him up and put him at the top of the bank and wished him luck.

Now all I can think about is if that damned thing really was heading up and not trying to actually make it down the bank. Oh well, the damage is done now.

3 Comments:

Blogger brad said...

Messin' with turtles. (heavy sigh) What is the world coming to? Now we're all in trouble.

... so, um, is the world, like, you know, going to end, like, today or, um, tomorrow?

May 31, 2006 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, I'm sure the turtle is grateful, from the looks out the window no armageddon yet, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

June 01, 2006 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe THATS why its so friggin hot here today!! The flames of damnation are upon the Philly area!

Don't feel bad, last weekend, Mag & I were heading to the beach & there was a turtle in the road....
I stopped traffic in BOTH directions to carry him across the street. Of course, in Sea Isle, you're *supposed* to do that.
One family even clapped for me.

June 01, 2006 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home