Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Is it just me?!

I was contacted last night by someone in our California offices who asked me if I would please e-mail and set up a time to interview a prospective hire this week. She lives here in Philly and they asked if I could talk to her about the company and how it is working from home, etc.

I sent the woman a nice e-mail giving her a quick and funny snapshot into my life working from home and said I’d be happy to talk to her further if there was a good time to reach her.

She replied back this morning and asked if I was free after 9. AT NIGHT. Are you fucking kidding me? Who asks that? 9 PM. When most normal people go to bed. And a good 3 hours after NORMAL business hours cease.

Now, at my company we really do work 24/7 but what little spoiled, Ivy league grad student twit who only works THREE HOURS A DAY asks someone who is supposed to be talking to them about the company they want to work for if they could talk after 9:00 PM because it would be more convenient for them?! GOOD FUCKING GRIEF. Starting a conversation at 9 means we wouldn’t end until 9:30 or 10.

SO, I wrote her back and said, no, as I have a life, I can only speak to her during normal business hours: 8 to 6. She didn’t seem offended at all. In fact, she wrote, “Figured I'd give it a shot in case you were an evening worker!” So she said Friday at 10:00 AM would be fine.

Even if I were an evening worker does that seem right to you? Is it me being old? Is it her being a selfish twit? I just can’t get over this. Am I being crazy?!? Overreacting? Anyone out there hold an interview after 9 at night when the position is NOT a night job?!?! Yeesh…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is ridiculous I agree, she's a twit for asking it, if she really thought that was the only time that would work for her she should have just asked you directly if you worked mostly in the evenings/mornings, etc. I read an article recently about current grads and their feelings of entitlement when it comes to new jobs...geesh, I was shocked by some of the requests I read about...freakin' youngins! When we came out of school I felt lucky to get the interview and wanted to SELL me to them! Not ask for 4 weeks vacation to start and a freaking plasma TV, oh yeah, and a 9pm interview slot....off the soapbox, hope it goes well with her:)

July 10, 2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger t_cole said...

oh my. now look what you've done - got lil sis all riled up...
(grin)

i work from home too.
you know that.
i am on call 24/7 too
did you know that?

i'd have yanked a knot in her skanky head if i'd been you.

you show reserve i do not posses.
we ALL knew that...

July 26, 2007 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home