Monday, June 11, 2007

Does this button turn it on?

So there are some nice benefits to having Train Guy move in. Someone who thinks it actually IS his job to take out the trash. Someone who assumes that he build the furniture from Ikea not leave it to the incompetent female and also someone who comes fully equipped with electronics equipment. And lots of it.

I don’t give a rat’s ass about that kind of stuff. I rarely, if ever, listen to music, I gave away an iPod Nano that I won and the only radio station I really ever listen to is NPR. So when TG moved in and brought his fancy schmancy crap I was nervous. “Um, so how does Car Talk sound on that thing and where the hell is the ‘on’ button?” was the first question. Then he brought over the 50” high definition flat screen. Holy crap. I always thought it was ridiculous, the picture on the 27” TV I’ve had for 8 years was just perfect, thank you very much. I don’t want to have to move my head from side to side to watch something. And really, how clearly does one need to see Alex Trebek?

And then, THEN, we found out to get HD service we have to get a new DirecTV dish on the house. AND it has to be the size, roughly, of my car…. Great. This sarcasm is for two reasons: one, I’m the one who works from home and will have to wait for the guy and two, and most importantly, when the last guy came, a total ASSHOLE I might add, he said that the only place it would get service would be right on the front of the house. I was SOOOO pissed. I said "fiiiiiiine" and then two weeks later the woman down the street got the same dish in the place I wanted it on my house!

Back to the present, the HD dish is huge and I don’t want that thing on the front of the house. So I tell the DirecTV people on the phone what happened last time and if they send someone out and they can’t put the thing somewhere else I don’t want it. (Can you hear Train Guy whining in the background? Just imagine it, it’s pathetic.)

Skip to the present. DirecTV guy is, is polite, sweet, nice and says, “You know, I can put this on the back of your house. You won’t see it from the street and then from the back I can put it in front of the chimney so it will be blocked from view when you’re in your yard.

I nearly kissed him. Really.

Maybe the electronics will stay. Now excuse me while I go look for the “power on” button on the TV.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA!! Have you seen the commercial where the girl tries to change the tv channel & uses the remote for the fireplace?
That's me.

I think I watch too much tv.

June 12, 2007 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back - have missed your wit.
I told Mark this year "no more electronic purchases" - I just want to buy some plants and all the electronics keep breaking.
Have fun!

Your friend, Jennifer M.

June 13, 2007 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post, it's my life I tell you with a man that has more tech gadgets and know how, I can barely turn the tv on as well and the satellite stuff, fugetaboutit! I tried to use the car door remote on the tv once and vis versa! I constantly mistake the home cordless for my cell and bring it along with me in the car too!

June 15, 2007 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home