Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A boring random story but one that shows how awesome my Mom is

I think that only the women will appreciate this post. However, if you’re male and don’t wear makeup (who am I to judge), try substituting the word “wrench” or “golf ball” in for the word “eyeshadow.” Maybe then you can relate. OR, just don’t bother reading this one….

Here is why I heart my Mom this week:

About 5 years ago while visiting my parents in England where they were living at the time I decided to hit my favorite store, Boots (the English version of CVS but a MILLION TIMES better and with a make-up/soap section ten times bigger). Boots is where, with angels singing in the background, I found the PERFECT eyeshadow combo. Oh yes, there it was, one of Boots’ own brands. I’ve been wearing it everyday since then. In all this time I’ve been on the quest to find the EXACT SAME shades and consistency as the Boots one. I’ve probably spent over $150 at Sephora looking but to no avail. But it never mattered because I still had a lot left.

Then the unthinkable happened (queue dramatic music). A couple of weeks ago in an exhausted scramble to get ready one morning I dropped the eyeshadow from the medicine cabinet onto the marble topped sink counter. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! But the Eyeshadow Gods were looking down on me and left me a little of each color. I carefully placed it on a DIFFERENT shelf and thought (hey we’re lucky I didn’t say it out loud), “I will now save this for special occasions only.” OR, “until a few days later when I will knock it off its new shelf, there’s nothing left and I actually shed a tear.” FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!

So, I did what any resourceful young woman would do. I turned to the internet for help. It seems that Boots sells their products ONLINE!!! They have a web page! Sheer joy! Then they took my heart out and threw it on the floor and squashed it like a bug when it said, “shipping to the UK only.” Again, FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!

BUT, it appears that SOME Target stores (aka my Favoritest Store in the Whole Wide World) apparently carries some of Boots’ make-up lines!!!! See? There really is an Eyeshadow God! But they’re only sold in some states… like Texas…. Hmmmmm… who did I know at that very moment who was in Texas visiting my favorite (only) sister and her daughter? My wonderful Mom. So I called her up.

Me: “Um, hey Mom I need a favor. (insert long story here)..”
Mom: “I'm in it. I’ll call you from the Target”
Me: doing happy dance and being so grateful of how seriously my Mom, who never wears make-up, is taking my request.

The Next Day:

Phone rings.
Mom from inside a Target deep in the heart of Texas: “So they have these trio eyeshadows but the names not the same but the shades are (include a ten minute description of the exact shade. Please keep in mind my Mother is a professional artist – painter – and that woman can seriously DESCRIBE color!).
Me: “OK, so one is kind of whitish, one is a redder brown and the other almost a silvery/bluey brown?
Mom: “Sighh…. Yes.” (please interpret as “I can’t believe this daughter who can not appreciate and verbally describe the intricacies, detail, descriptiveness and level of color is mine.”)
Me: “I think that’s it then!”

Fast forward to Sunday night when I pick them up from the airport. Mom hands me a small package which I eagerly open. Again, the angels start singing, and there it is, softly lit up from the car's light, the perfect eyeshadow combo.

This morning I made a call to my sister. “Yeah, next time you’re at Target I’m going to need you to pick me up EIGHT of those eyeshadows. That should last me the rest of my life including the sacrificing of two to the toilet and/or marble counter Gods.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the same way but thankfully with 2 of my Clinque products that I can find just about anywhere...now my hubby has this Iced Tea that is hard to find, or sold out, I found it last week ON SALE, there were 4 jugs on the shelf, so bought all 4.

where in England were they, I've never been but it's on my list!

August 15, 2006 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome! My shit just stops being made about three weeks before I first discover it.

August 15, 2006 10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do that with my makeup too! If find something I like and then I stockpile.

Lil sis, mine is Turkey Hill Lime Iced Tea. I can only find it6 in the Acme in Seaville, NJ. When we go to the shore, I always buy 3 or 4!!

August 16, 2006 8:16 AM  
Blogger E said...

Why the hell do companies discontinue lipsticks and eyeshadows and stuff? Since when did "red" lipstick or "brown" eyeshadow go out of style??
My parents were in Oxford. My Dad's English - his whole side of the family is there - and they upped and moved back for about 6 years. BUT, they moved back here when my sister had her daughter. Thank goodness because those trips were expensive, I mean with all the eyeshadow I was buying!

August 16, 2006 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home