Monday, February 13, 2006

Seventeen inches, baby!!

OK, we got SEVENTEEN inches of snow yesterday. It’s gorgeous until you have to shovel it and realize it weighs a million tons per cubic inch. And no, I’m not exaggerating. I came close to OD’ing on Advil yesterday and everything thing still hurts. BUT, I LOVE IT.

I really do love the snow. I love getting snowed in and what better way to spend the day AFTER Mr. Zinfandel’s party than being forced to stay indoors. Oh yes, and, AGAIN, with the neighbors. While the snow was falling I offered to have everyone over for pancakes after a morning of shoveling. Who knew they’d take me seriously?!? So after an hour and a half of shoveling 200 million pounds of snow, I hosted about 12 hungry adults who brought whatever was in their refrigerators to share. It was fun. Really fun. We ate, drank four pots of coffee, were merry and watched the news and their coverage of the latest “storm of the century.”

The non-stop news coverage of snow storms always makes me laugh. They drag in all their weather people and then send their reporters out to different parts of the city where, on cue, they say things like, “Well, here in Manayunk it’s still snowing. We’re up to 10 inches here, now to Bob. Bob?” “ Thanks, Joe, yes, it’s still snowing here too. We’ve got 10 and a half inches and people are starting to shovel. How much more are we going to expect, Amy?” “Well, Bob, yes, we’re expecting the snow to continue for at least another few hours. Howard, how does it look where you are?” And on and on it goes for HOURS. But what kills me is how much it sucks you in! We didn’t turn it off. Do we watch because we think they’re going to tell us something new? Like, “Wow, Amy, it looks like we read the Doppler Eight Million all wrong and it seems we’re going to get twelve FEET of snow, not inches. Our bad!” or that maybe its actually 75 and sunny just five miles south of where we are. Whatever it is, they have us hooked. Snow storm coverage is the MSG of the Weather world.

Here is my favorite picture from the storm:

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Pissy said...

Wow! I haven't seen that much snow since I lived in Germany.

Your 'pancake party' sounds like fun!

We do something similar down here after a hurricane.

Or during...sometimes =)

February 13, 2006 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh, the beauty of having a neighbor with a snow-blower.

The only shoveling I had to do was the parking spot. Maggie "helped" with her little shovel. For every shovel-full I threw on the yard, she threw BACK into the spot I had just cleared!! It was fun anyway...

February 14, 2006 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home