Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine'$ Day

Ahh, yes Valentine’s Day. The day Hallmark executives have chosen to ensure that the company exceeds its profit margins in the first quarter thus guaranteeing Christmas bonuses for all employees.

I’m not a fan of Valentine’s Day. It’s not that I’m not a fan of love, I am, or that I’m anti-relationships, I’m not (God knows I’ve been in enough of them). It’s just that it seems ridiculous to have one day chosen for you to express your love for someone and in expressing that love you must buy roses at ten times their normal cost, go out to dinner where the price fix menu is double your normal weekly grocery bill or buy chocolates in a heart shaped box with plastic flowers on top.

I do find it to be the perfect holiday for those under the age of 10. As a kid it was a lot of fun to dress up in red and pink, make cards for all the kids in class, bake and frost cupcakes and not do any school work. And I really love getting a Valentine’s Day card from my 4 year old niece who decorates the card with stickers, glitter glue and signs her card, “Love, O_____ F_____.” First and last name, in case I was guessing who O was.

Truthfully, I’d rather celebrate the day after Valentine’s day; February 15th. The day all chocolate goes on sale for 50% off.

1 Comments:

Blogger t_cole said...

a woman after my own heart - i'm all over those chocolate sales!

February 15, 2006 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home