Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Singing in the sun

The sun is FINALLY shining. We’ve had 7 inches of rain in 4 days and four inches of it fell last night. No joke. Rivers are overflowing, homes are being washed away and according to the weather people we haven’t even seen the worst of it yet. The rivers haven’t crested yet. That’s going to happen tonight.

I, on the other hand, was dreading going down to my basement this morning. Not because I was afraid the boogey man would get me (or the fur/dust balls since I have never vacuumed the concrete floor once since I moved in nearly two years ago. SIDEBAR - Uh, is that really gross or just sort of gross? How often do you vacuum your concrete basement floor?). I was afraid of finding out how much water would greet me. Would it be lapping at the first step or just be creeping in at the edges where the floor meets the wall? Well, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I just had a small trickle coming in right near the dehumidifier. Not bad!

Of course I was thrilled I didn’t have all of my crap (and I mean that kind of literally. My basement is a repository of all things crappy. When I don’t know what to do with something I just wing it down the basement stairs and try not to trip over it when I go down there to do the laundry) ruined but really I was just thrilled that I didn’t have to vacuum it all up with my neighbor’s wet/dry vac or *GASP* worse, CLEAN THE BASEMENT! I’ve gone this long without doing anything down there so why break the tradition now?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shudder at the thought of "wet basement cleanup", too many childhood memories there. Glad you stayed dry, and I don't know many who clean their concrete floors on a regular basis, so just a little gross:)

June 29, 2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger E said...

I can deal with "just a little gross"!!!

June 29, 2006 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our basement gets WET!!
sump pump runs alllllll day after a good soaking rain.

Then, in 2 days, it starts to stink. Then I send Joe down with a bottle of Clorox & the big push-broom. I tell him, I would do it but.... hello??? 9 months pregnant???!!

June 29, 2006 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home