Thursday, December 15, 2005

Holiday Happiness

Tomorrow is our office Holiday Party. I will not be in attendance because I will taking the day off but also, and most importantly, because I do not live in Cincinnati where my company is located and where said party will be.

About four years ago the small company I worked for here in Philly got purchased by a MUCH bigger one and the powers that were told us that we could keep our jobs if we moved to Cincinnati. I frantically tried to find another job but having it been two months after 9/11 there were not many job openings for me. No problem, I was single and care-free and could move. I’m friendly, I’m nice, I’m fun and it will be an adventure! WRONG.

If there are any readers out there who currently reside in Cincinnati by choice, well, good for you for liking it. I, however, did not like it. Maybe it was my industry (I do not work for Procter & Gamble, the HUGE employer for Cincinnati) but I did not find that mid-Western town to be friendly or welcoming in the least. I tried, I did. I did make a couple of friends who had also transferred in to Cincinnati that made my time there less painful, but they both jumped ship two months before me one to move to Michigan and the other to London.

I could add a few more really mean paragraphs in here but I won’t. Maybe it’s because I’m too tired to type or maybe because it’s not worth being negative (well, in this instance!) but needless to say I begged my Boss to let me move back, work from a sister company’s offices and, finally, be happy again.

And happy I am! I had no idea how truly miserable I was there until I moved back to Philly. Here I have friends and family. People here are outgoing and welcoming and nothing like what I experienced in those 2 years, 7 months and 24 days in Cincinnati. I bought a house in the best neighborhood where all the neighbors get together every couple of months to hang out in our neighborhood bar for a Happy Hour. In the 16 months since I’ve been back I have made wonderful new friends (including one of whom's birthday it is today, Happy Birthday M!!!!!) and I am surrounded by my old friends who I am eternally grateful for and are always there for me. I am lucky.

So, tomorrow, when all of my coworkers will be leaving work at 3 and going to a party to be merry, I will be running my errands, doing last minute Christmas shopping and feeling so grateful that I have the best life ever. Really, I do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, E, That's sweet!
Philly IS the best place in the whole wide world aint it??
What neighborhood DO you live in? Now, don't worry, I'm not going to show up unannounced or anything.

The pic you posted with the snow, reminds me of Fairmount Park section, or around thataways...

Anyway, have a great day off, hope you get to finish your shopping (my sister is getting a big nutcracker & a cashmere sweater)
Have you figured out what you rsis is getting yet??

December 15, 2005 3:55 PM  
Blogger t_cole said...

I tripped on your blog over a month ago and have enjoyed (very much) keeping up with you and your adventures.
I too work from home. My corporate office is 500+ miles and three states away. And our office party is this afternoon. I get the honor of "watching the phones" whilst everyone else enjoys the holiday cheer.
Which is fine - as I get comp time later to do as I please...

Best to you!
tcole

December 16, 2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger E said...

Thank you! Oh the pressure to have more adventures!!
I am very jealous that you get comp time. I think my company sees me working offsite as a "comp."
E

December 16, 2005 10:40 AM  
Blogger t_cole said...

Yep, I get that a lot too. If they worked at home with my kids - they'd think differently! there are days I'd PAY to go to an office and work. Today being one of those days...


no pressure - live, love and blog.

tcole

December 16, 2005 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home