Friday, December 30, 2005

It's the added quarter that'll getcha

Oh.My.God. I’m old. First I blog about pajamas in public and now I’m going to rant about the price of movies. Here goes: What is up with the price of movies?? My friend M and I were talking about it when we went to see The Family Stone the other day. Holy expletive! $7. for a matinee and $9.25 (don’t even get me started on the 25 cents) for an evening showing?! I remember when movies used to cost 99 cents. Yup, that’s right, the theater near where I grew up had 99 cent movies. The woman in the ticket booth sat there with a HUGE pile of pennies in front of her and would push one out to you after you gave her your dollar. It may have shown the new releases a couple months late but it was before VCRs so they were all still new.

I can then remember when they opened a huge Multiplex in a town close by. I saw ET there and paid about $3.00. Ahhhh, yes, ET. The movie that started my downward spiral into Reese’s Pieces addiction. Not pretty. But I digress.

I now see why my Boss just buys the DVDs when they come out. He said it’s cheaper to buy them then to pay for tickets for him and his wife and to get food. True, but the popcorn really is never as good out of the microwave and where can one buy that butter topping they have at the theater? I have heartburn just thinking about it.

There is something about going to the movies though. It’s not just the sticky floors and the jackass behind you who has to ask, “Is THAT the bad guy?”, it’s the whole experience of the big screen, reclining chairs, and buttered popcorn. I will complain, but I’ll still shell out the money. But only to go to the matinees, I’m not Donald Trump you know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We took Maggie to see Chicken Little. A friend of ours works for AMC so we got comp. tickets, but popcorn/soda/jujubees/snowcaps&milkduds??? $22.50.

She really liked the experience though; her first movie at the theater. She was VERY impressed with the big t.v.

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR!

December 30, 2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger t_cole said...

Geez, E where in green acres are you going to the movies???
My daughter and i hit the matinee yesterday and out TWO tickets cost me a whopping $5.50. For real!
Chronicles of Narnia was phenominal btw!

But you know - I do remember my Mom dropping me and my brother off at the movie theater when we were kids. they showed one flick at a time - one screen. We each got $2. $1 to get in. $1 for popcorn or candy and a drink.
and I'm not that D*** old either...
tcole

December 30, 2005 10:22 PM  
Blogger E said...

I saw them in a suburb of Philly. Where are you seeing them because it's probably cheaper to fly there and see them!

December 31, 2005 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home